Tuesday 3 October 2017

Colourful summer evenings in San Sebastian

 
San Sebastian in June is packed with tourists. This pleasant town in the Basque Country (Spain) has been a touristic corner for many years but mainly for the rich Spanish families who would come to the Cantabrian coast in search of good health. But this tradition is now surpassed by people looking for the beach (Playa de la Concha), culture (e.g. Film Festival of San Sebastian and the Jazz Festival) nightlife and, for summer courses. The food in the Basque Country is the best of the best: delicious jamon (chorizo), tasty cheese and beautiful wine. The food specialities are the "pintxos" which are small snacks of this and that, served in the pubs with beer, cider or wine. These appetisers have become so famous that the pubs are now full of non-Spanish and the prices have gone up. I thought it would be impossible to find a truly authentic place selling "pintxos". But I found it is not if we have the right contacts! And my contact was a professor from the University of San Sebastian. I was very sceptical about the place he described as "an authentic tavern selling the best "pintxos" to the Basque people" until I set my feet inside. And that was another world! Basques were there indeed, having their wine and eating their "pintxos". The old barman was very grumpy but with me he was great, suggesting the specialities of the house. And the one I still have my mouth watering for is a "spinach croquette" which came straight from the frying pan to my plate! Of course, as I am so bad at remembering names of places as I cannot recall the name of this pub anymore, but it is better like this, because I would like to keep it almost secret. I give a clue at least: The photo was taken in the street where the pub is located. If you find it, I hope you leave some "spinach croquettes" for me! 



No comments: