Friday 17 April 2020

Grey sea and sky by J.M.W. Turner

The Shipwreck by J.M.W. Turner (Photo by Diana Feliciano)

I have been several times to the Tate Modern Museum in London but never visited the other Tate, the Tate Britain, until last year. I passed by and decided to enter. As soon as I was inside the museum I learnt there were guided visits to the collections and happily found out that one of those visits was to the collection of the great British painter William Turner. I felt so lucky!!! The Tate Britain hosts the largest collection of works by Turner, whose style is unmistakable. Themes painted by Turner include seascapes, countryside scenes, gothic cathedrals, landscape and history, fire and water. My favourites are the seascape paintings such as the Shipwreck, first exhibited in 1805. The other very popular painting I like a lot is Hannibal and his Army Crossing the Alps. Turner was a very rich man which allowed him to paint as he wanted and to be innovative. He was also a very eccentric person. On my first visit to Barnard Castle, where I now spend much of my time, I was told that he has been there and painted from the bridge across the River Tees. A good movie on the life of Turner is: "Mr. Turner" with Timothy Spall.

No comments: